On Friday 07 Mar 2003 3:28 pm, Rick Jansen wrote:
> On a P4-2.6Ghz, 1Gb mem server of ours, mysql keeps getting slower and
> slower because the database gets bigger and bigger.
> At the moment the database is 5.5Gb big, the biggest table being 1.1Gb.

What OS are you using?

> 'top' shows that mysqld is using 264M of memory. So I presume the rest is
> used for disk caching. How do I know for sure that mysql is using the rest
> of the memory, or how do I get mysql to use it all?

That seems fine we are using about the same.

> Would an extra gig of memory help mysql, or linux, to be faster? Will MySQL
> put it's tables in the extra memory so it won't have to read from disk
> anymore?

We are running on a Gig of RAm with the smae size of DB so I doubt it.

> What I *really* need to know, is would our server get quicker from
> installing an extra 1Gb of ram, before we take the chance and purchase the
> expensive PC800-RIMMS.

If you could provide me with your MySQL version and your OS I can advise a bit
more.

We had major problems with slow mysql up until a few days ago which we have
now solved, depending on your set up I could help out.

Cheers
John Wards
SportNetwork.net