"Victoria Reznichenko" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Mario" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > I'm a newbie in experimental mode and have just deleted /ALL/ databases
on a
> > MySQL server, i.e. including the one ("mysql") that contains all the
> > administrative stuff like users, privileges, etc. Is there some way to
> > recreate some default version of that database short of reinstalling the
> > server? Thx!
>
> Run mysql_install_db script.

OK, thanks, that helped - once or twice. After some more "experimenting",
unfortunately, all access attempts are now denied. After running
mysql_install_db over and over again (with no error mesages) and countless
attempts to set the password using mysqladmin with all possible
combinations of usernames, passwords, hosts and sockets I can think of
(there are not that many of course), I still cannot connect. So, I'm now
left wondering if there isn't a way to reinitialize the server to some
/well/-defined state from which I can restart building tables??? Thx