From: Murray [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 12 July 2003 07:16
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Access control via a role based security model

I am trying to develop a web based database application to manage a Scout
group.  I need to control the level of access different visitors to the site
are allowed to different parts of the database.  I need to provide public
information, including some contact details from the database, to
unauthenticated (non-member) users and to provide a scale of access to more
information for authenticated members.

The access model would be similar to the following:
Role name          Access
public             group leader contact details
member             read own details, update some details, read contact
information for all other members
leader             as for member plus update youth member progress records
mmbrship secy      update financial details for all members
group leader       access all areas

The mySQL manual shows this can be managed by granting privileges to
individual users based on columns in the various tables.  Can I do it using
a role-based model where I assign one or more of the above roles to a user
and grant the privileges to the role?

Murray Nicholas