>> >I agree with your opinion in 100%, but in my case I need DBMS with
>> >features like subselectes/utf-8/stored procedures but the
>> speed is also
>> >very important issue.
>>
>> You might have to spend money!
>>

>You are saying that there is DBMS with all this features and it is as
>fast as MySQL ?

I don't know, but if there is, it is one you will have to pay for.
In any case, speed is as much a matter of application design as a DBMS
characteristic.

As a minor side issue, we did some _very limited_ testing with MS SQLServer
2000 using unicode v ascii queries. Using unicode, queries tended to run at
about half the speed compare to using ascii.
 This was client server, so it is likely that the increased network traffic
is to blame, but bear it it mind.