Suggestion.. make a small script called closeall.php .. basically it has
some code to force closed the mysql connection opened (be sure to run a
close for all openened handles)

I have seem some sites code that actually open multiple connections to the
same database..

Add this file into php.ini under the script_prepend part (gets run after
all other scripts are done) ..  Perhaps something is getting left open/not
closing properly?