We're just getting started with MySQL on Linux; I was browsing my home directory and found a file called .mysql_history. It contains a history of all mysql commands I've entered - including logging on, setting passwords for users, etc.

Sure enough, other users of mysql have the same file.

Questions: What are these files, are they mandatory, or can I turn off this logging? Do we need to keep an eye on growth of this files, and truncate or archive them?

Most importantly - yikes, seems scary to have a clear text file with a record of Mysql username and password create commands. Any thoughts on this??