Hi programmers, Good morning ;-)

I think something is wrong,
Running windows  I believe first I have to set some password,
Which creates some user,
Then I can grant the required privileges, for some databases.

However granting privileges after setting password seems to reset some
Other access,

===
C:\temp\Menagerie_01>mysql  -u root  -p******  mysql
Your MySQL connection id is 3 to server version: 4.1.0-alpha-max-debug

mysql> set password for 'elmasri'@'localhost'=password('navathe');
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.02 sec)

mysql> set password for 'elmasri'@'%'=password('navathe');
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)

mysql> grant all on company.* to 'elmasri'@'localhost' identified by
'navathe';
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.02 sec)

mysql> grant all on company.* to 'elmasri'@'%' identified by 'navathe';
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)

mysql> quit
Bye

C:\temp\Menagerie_01>mysql  -u elmasri -pnavathe  company
ERROR 1045: Access denied for user: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' (Using password:
YES)

===

However if I use only the grant statement,
I don't need any set password statement,

Both setting password and granting all privileges
->  ERROR 1045: Access denied

But Why ?

===

C:\temp\Menagerie_01>mysql  -u root  -p*****  mysql
Your MySQL connection id is 12 to server version: 4.1.0-alpha-max-debug

mysql> grant all  privileges on company.*  to 'monty'@'localhost'
identified by
'python'  with grant option;
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)

mysql> quit
Bye

C:\temp\Menagerie_01>mysql  -u monty -ppython  company
Your MySQL connection id is 13 to server version: 4.1.0-alpha-max-debug

mysql> show tables
    -> ;
+-------------------+
| Tables_in_company |
+-------------------+
| blabla            |
+-------------------+
1 row in set (0.01 sec)

mysql> drop table blabla;
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)

mysql> show tables;
Empty set (0.00 sec)

mysql> create table blabla  ( fname varchar(15) not null  )type=innodb;
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)

mysql> show tables;
| Tables_in_company |
| blabla            |