Monica Ferrero wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'm not sure if this is the most adequate mySQL list for this post. If
not,
> please indicat me which one I should use...
>
> I'm using Tomcat 4.1.24 with Apache 2 and MySQL 4.0.13. I have the mysql-
> connector-java-2.0.14-bin.jar in commons/lib.
> The application runs normally, and usually about once or twice a day I get
> this exception org.apache.commons.dbcp.DbcpException:
> java.sql.SQLException: Server configuration denies access to data source.
> Once the exception occurs, it happens for every request and Tomcat needs
> restarting.
>
> Before getting this exception, I used to run out of connections, and
> therefore I added to the server.xml
>
>         <parameter>
>           <name>logAbandoned</name>
>           <value>true</value>
>         </parameter>
>         <parameter>
>           <name>removeAbandoned</name>
>           <value>true</value>
>         </parameter>
>
> I guess it could be related...
>
> I include the exception and my server.xml file.
>
> Any help appreciated.
>

> Monica
[snip]
>         <ResourceParams name="jdbc/allukmasterDB">
>         <parameter>
>          <name>factory</name>
>          <value>org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSourceFactory</value>
>         </parameter>
>         <parameter>
>          <name>maxActive</name>
>          <value>500</value>
>         </parameter>
>         <parameter>
>          <name>maxIdle</name>
>          <value>30</value>
>         </parameter>
[snip]

Hi!

Any reason you need to support _500_ active connections? MySQL will not
let you do this out of the box (the limit is set to 100
'max_connections'), you'll need to re-configure MySQL to support more,
see:

http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Too_many_connections.html

If you cross the default limit, you'll get the 'access denied' exception
you are getting.

One of the main concepts behind connection pooling is to put a cap on
resource usage, 500 connections is awfully high for a properly designed
application...You should be able to get by with 25 or less in a
well-constructed Java app. You might find my 'connection pooling with
Connector/J' article helpful, see:

http://www.mysql.com/articles/connection_pooling_with_connectorj.html

Regards,

Mark

- --
Mr. Mark Matthews
MySQL AB, Software Development Manager, J2EE and Windows Platforms
Office: +1 708 557 2388
www.mysql.com

Are you MySQL Certified?
http://www.mysql.com/certification/