> From: Vivian Wang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: 2003/09/02 Tue PM 02:16:26 CDT
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Fwd: different between index and key when create table
>
> mysql:
> >
> >Can anyone tell me what is different between index and key when creating
> >table?
> >like this situation:
> >
> >create table info ( fname char(9), lname char (15), address char(30),
> >index(lname));
> >or
> >create table info ( fname char(9), lname char(15), address char(30),
> >key(lname));
> >

> >Thanks.

>From the online manual:
"KEY is normally a synonym for INDEX. From version 4.1, the key attribute PRIMARY KEY
may also be specified as just KEY. This was implemented
for compatibility with other databases."

See:
http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/CREATE_TABLE.html

Note that in DB *theory*, however, keys and indexes are not the same.

sjfromm