My first thought would be to create an empty table call it new_table set it
up like you want.
then

INSERT INTO new_table
SELECT n.*,a.data FROM normal n LEFT JOIN  another a ON o.id=a.id
ORDER BY (n.id)

and then verify it got there, and drop the other tables and rename the
new_table to
normal table.

Kelley