Fortuno, Adam wrote:

If I follow you're email correctly, it looks like you attempting to assign a
password to the root user twice. The first statement you provide:

bin/mysqladmin -u root password ******

Sets the password to whatever value you've set in-place of ******. Then in
the statement below you attempt to set the password again.

/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqladmin -u root -h `hostname` password ******

Take a good look at that second line. You're assigning a new password to the root account, but when you attempt to reset the password for root as root you don't use root's new (as set in line 1) password. Make sense?

What you say makes sense - although I would expect the mysql response to be something indicating that I'm trying to set the root password twice, instead of telling me:

error: 'Host '192.168.1.100' is not allowed to connect to this MySQL server'

I only entered those two instructions because in the README supplied with the Installation PKG, the following was included:

If you installed MySQL for the first time, *please remember to set a
password for the MySQL `root' user!*

This is done with the following two commands:

/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqladmin -u root password <password>
/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqladmin -u root -h `hostname` password <password>

Am I missing something here? Do they actually mean "either of the following two commands"?

Robert

PS: Does 'lazarus.local.' look like a normal response from 'hostname' or should it be just the plain name 'lazarus'?