Hi

We have a similar challenge. Offsite backups with huge amounts of data,
without spending a fortune.

We have a local Linux box and the remote server both running rsync.

http://samba.anu.edu.au/rsync/

Rsync is brilliant because it only updates file sectors that have changed.
We would only use it if we can stop MySql but then synchronising takes
minutes (1MB broadband connection), particularly using compression.

If you cannot add your own server software MySql files also compress very
well (gzip 90%+), but this means some server load.

HTH

Peter

Excellence in internet and open source software
Sunmaia
Birmingham
UK
www.sunmaia.net