On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 16:10:47 +0000, Duncan Hill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Greetings,

I've just finished installing 4.1 alpha (yes, I know, alpha) on a test setup.
Now that I'm starting to stress test it, I've run into an odd bug:

Every once in a while, (and from what I can tell, randomly) the server will
reject the attempted connection from another host on the network with an
access denied message.
<snip>
I'm also seeing the same intermittent failures in my PHP scripts.

Linux text.box.invalid 2.4.20-20.9 #1 Mon Aug 18 11:45:58 EDT 2003 i686 i686
i386 GNU/Linux
RedHat 9 based system, fully updated glibc etc. MySQL 4.1 installed from the
RPMs provided on the mysql.com site.

I can work around the issue in my PHP scripts, merely by looping the
connection attempt a set number of times if a failure is encountered. Not
the nicest of solutions though.

Is this a known problem in 4.1?  Any better way I can debug it to provide
info?

I've witnessed a similar problem (also 4.1). I'm connecting only via localhost. I've used the suggested solution of looping a set number of times. IIRC, I encountered a similar problem ages ago with an older 3.x version. But I wrote the loop and forgot about it.

This is happening to me on a low volume server right now, but when I move to production it will handle a much higher volume of traffic. I'm just hoping my looping check doesn't bog things down too much. :)

If you find a solution, please let me know.

Michael

--
Michael Johnson < [EMAIL PROTECTED] >
Internet Application Programmer, Pitsco, Inc.