On Dec 05, 2003, at 17:00, Lost Idols wrote:

A newbie here, with a simple question (I guess).

I just installed MySQL on my OS X 10.2
But failed pretty quick. Please help me... I wanna get started.

This it what it looks like after following the description in the ReadMe file.

Last login: Fri Dec 5 22:41:28 on ttyp1
Welcome to Darwin!
[COVERMAN:~] staffan% sudo /Library/StartupItems/MySQL/MySQL start
Starting MySQL database server
[COVERMAN:~] staffan% /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql
ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)
[COVERMAN:~] staffan%

It sounds like you have to install the permissions tables.

Run this command:

/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql_install_db

And then do as it says. After that, you should be able to start MySQL with the StartupItems script.