On Sat, Dec 06, 2003 at 08:20:57PM +0100, Franz Edler wrote:

> > Errno 13 is Permission Denied. Is the mysql daemon running with
> > sufficient privileges to read the directory and files within it?
> > All the database files should be owned by the mysql user, and are
> > generally in the mysql group, mode 660. Check that's the case.
>
> All mysql-database files in /var/lib/mysql/mysql/ are owned by user=root and
> group=root, mode =660.
> There is no mysql group.
>
> I installed as user "root" (using YaST) and created the database-files with
> mysql_install_db also as user "root".

During normal operation, mysql should run as the user "mysql", so it
can't read those. You'll want to chown them. Not having a mysql group
isn't critical, but if you haven't got a mysql user then I dare say
you need to check the installation process, because it probably hasn't
worked correctly.

--
Chris