In one message you say you've run mysql_install_db, in another you say you're logged in as root. In your second message, you say you got the error

  Fatal error: Can't open privilege tables: Can't find file:
  './mysql/host.frm' (errno 13) ...

You can use perror to translate the error number (13) to text.

  # perror 13
  Error code  13:  Permission denied

I expect you ran mysql_install_db as root, so root owns the data directory and files. Hence, the mysql user cannot read them. I know you say that you've used chown to reset the ownership, but I think the most likely explanation is that you've missed something. As root, cd to the mysql data directory and run

chown -R mysql:mysql .

Then try mysqld_safe again.

Michael

Zhao, Charles wrote:

Thanks ... but yeas, I have done both and still got that ... that's why
I was asking the questions.
I have 3.23 that came with my Linux distribution and it's not
uninstalled -- but I don't think that should be the cause, though.