Hi,

I do just this at the moment - I have a cron job that runs MySQL dump, gzips
the output, and will then ftp the important files to a machine that get's
backed-up to a tape drive.  I also time the dump, and it currently takes
just over 3 minutes which is quite acceptable for what I'm doing.  I'm
thinking about piping the output of mysqldump straight through gzip and then
ftp'd away to ease the disk access too, but that maybe later.

I would still like a best-practices guide though, so that if everything does
go wrong I'm sure that I've got everything I need to reconstruct the system
as swiftly as possible.  I've done some dry runs, but still feel that this
isn't the same as learning from that gleaned by others that may have
actually been faced with disaster in the past!

Thanks,

Mike