Thanks all.. that worked perfectly!

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Stassen [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, February 18, 2004 12:17 PM
To: Morgan, Andrew R.
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Installation Problem - PLEASE HELP

Alex Greg wrote:

>>Hi all.  I am trying to install mySql on Solaris 2.6. I am getting the
>
> following error during 'make':
>
>>ld: fatal: library -lz: not found
>>ld: fatal: File processing errors. No output written to
>
> .libs/libmysqlclient.so.10.0.0
>
>>make[2]: *** [libmysqlclient.la] Error 1
>>make[2]: Leaving directory `/virtual/mysql-3.23.58/libmysql'
>>make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
>>make[1]: Leaving directory `/virtual/mysql-3.23.58'
>>make: *** [all] Error 2
>

> (from http://curl.haxx.se/mail/archive-2003-11/0018.html)
>
> "It means that it didn't find the zlib library at link time. The configure
> script found it and enabled the use of it, but when it came to linking it
> somehow doesn't find it.
>
> You can fix this by setting up your LD_LIBRARY_PATH (or similar) to include
> the path of your zlib."
>

> -- Alex

Presumably, you are using gcc to compile and Solaris ld to link.  That's
fine, but the problem is that Solaris ld doesn't looks in /usr/local/lib
(I'm assuming that's where you put zlib) by default.  You can set
LD_LIBRARY_PATH, but that really isn't the Solaris way.  It works,
sometimes, but not quite in the same way as other systems (e.g. Linux).
  In any case, it isn't needed if you pass the proper flags.  It's been
a while since I built anything under Solaris 2.6, but my memory is that
you need to set the -L and -R flags.  So, assuming your zlib is in
/usr/local/lib, you need to set

LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/lib -R/usr/local/lib"

before you run configure.  -L sets the link time library path and -R
sets the run time library path.  This way, both ld and the program you
build will look in /usr/local/lib in addition to /usr/lib, without the
need to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  See `man ld` for details.

Michael