According to the docs http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/MERGE.html:

A MERGE table (also known as a MRG_MyISAM table) is a collection of
identical MyISAM tables that can be used as one.

The disadvantages with MERGE tables are:
    You can only use identical MyISAM tables for a MERGE table.

I have never personally tried a merge table, but from my understanding of
the docs, only MyISAM tables.

Eric

"John McCaskey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
I attempted to create a merge table across two identical InnoDB tables
and it seemed to work without error.  But when I went to use the table I
got a file not found my_table.MRG (error number 2) error.  The file does
in fact exist, but it is only 54 bytes.

I'm guessing that I can only create a merge table with MyISAM tables.
Is this correct?  The manual says that a merge table is a collection of
MyISAM tables but it doesn't explicitly state that it doesn't work with
other types.

John A. McCaskey