Ms./Sir,

Now I am assigned to do the backup of a whole mysql database (version: 3.23.36). I
want to make sure whether the following procedures are correct for database backup.
1. mysqldump -F --opt database_name > database_name.backup
2. stop mysqld if is running. Then start it with "--log-bin" option.

The purpose of the second step is to update the database from the binary log file
since the point I began to do backup. Then it will work normally. Am I right? But I
once did a test on the database. I used command "LOCK TABLES table_name READ" to lock
a table as root login, and then insert one row as lss login in another terminal. The
insert operation hang there until the table was unlocked. I run command "select * from
table_name" in both terminal finding the result are the same and new row was inserted.
So I am confused about the functionality of the second step.

If the above procedure is not correct, Would you please let me know the correct ones?
I once read the mysql administration document and found some command about backup. But
they are executed on mysql prompt like "mysql> LOCK TABLES", I need the procedures
that can be run  on command line.

Thanks!

Regards,

Lenny Li