Hey James,
Thanks for replying.

> How do you like ensim?
Pretty good, quite easy to use...Got it free with my hosting so no complaints.

> BTW - I use the
> CLI(command line interface) and connect using the mysql  CLI:

Ok, tried it via CLI and heres the output

# mysql -u root -p
Enter password:
Your MySQL connection id is 246 to server version: 3.23.58

mysql> show databases;
+------------+
| Database   |
+------------+
| admin_appl |
| mysql      |
| test       |
+------------+
3 rows in set (0.00 sec)

mysql> create database test1;
ERROR 1006: Can't create database 'test1'. (errno: 13)

> Your problems may lie in the configuration; however the fact that you can
> see your mysql database with tables seems to indicate that you are
> communicating properly.

Sounds good....but still not working :-(

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
-Ryan