Hi Terence,

key_buffer_size is the amount of memory that is used to cache your index
tables.  If you are using 100% of it most of the time, you may benefit from
an increase in it if you can afford to.  You can also look at show status
and look at key_reads and key_writes to give you an idea of how often you
are using your index cache.  Basically, the more indexing you can store in
memory the faster your queries tend to be (if they are structured to take
advantage of the indexes).

You can get more info by looking at:
http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Server_system_variables.html

When MySQL starts up, the cache is empty, and is loaded upon use.  One cool
new feature in 4.1.1 onwards is the ability to pre-load the cache, and to
create seperate index caches for use by different tables.

Hope this helps.

Eric

"Terence" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Hi,
>
> Can somebody tell me whether this is good or bad:
> Our mysql server has
> key_buffer_size = 402,653,184 (without the commas)
>
> The MySQL administrator tool indicates a 100% usage most of the time, and
> 362,324,992 as current usage within 24 hours which builds up very fast.
Are