Hi,

I'm trying to get replication set up on a slave, and getting the
error: "Error 1200: The server is not configured as slave, fix in
config file or with CHANGE MASTER TO".

The master machine is set up already, and there is already
one database replicating off of it (a second instance of mysql on
the same machine as the master).

In master, FILE, SUPER, RELOAD, and SELECT have all been GRANTed
to the slave user, and that user can log in using the
command-line client.  The GRANTs look like

grant select on *.* to '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' identified by 'foobar';

Here is the relevant part of the my.cnf:
[mysqld]
port            = 3306
socket          = /tmp/mysql.sock
skip-locking
key_buffer = 16M
max_allowed_packet = 1M
table_cache = 64
sort_buffer_size = 512K
net_buffer_length = 8K
myisam_sort_buffer_size = 8M
set-variable    = default-character-set=cp1251
log-bin
log-warnings
log-slow-queries = /usr/local/mysql/data/slowqueries.log
server-id       = 75
replicate-do-table=master.data
replicate-wild-do-table=search.%
replicate-do-table=profile.digest
replicate-do-table=profile.digestdata
replicate-do-table=profile.user
master-host=192.168.2.2
master-user=root
master-password=foobar
master-connect-retry=10

This is the SQL that should start the replication on the slave:
mysql> CHANGE MASTER TO MASTER_HOST='dbhost',
    -> MASTER_USER='root', MASTER_PASSWORD='foobar',
    -> MASTER_LOG_FILE='dbhost-bin.045',
    -> MASTER_LOG_POS=4606; Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)

This runs ok, but slave start; gives the error.

This is in mySQL 4.0.12, on Linux.

Sorry if that's too much information.  Thanks to any and all for
comments or help.

Regards,
Jim N.