From: Joshua J. Kugler [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, April 15, 2004 3:27 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Learning curve

Mike -

You didn't indicate your department, so I'm not sure what your
background is.
Your message, overall, is a bit scary, as any university that far behind

right now would be worrisome.  I'm not exactly sure what you're asking
for
(as you didn't ouline your requirements), but I would first take a look
on
sites like sourceforge or freshmeat for systems that already do what you

want.  I'm sure the kind of record keeping you do has been done before.

But as to your main quesiton, it is very doable.  You just need to keep
in
mind multi-user issue like record locking.  Search the archives for
messages
by me about record locking for an elegant way to do it via a flag field.
If
you can't find it, let me know, and I'll type it up again.

--
Joshua J. Kugler
Fairbanks, Alaska