Hello:

I am trying to setup a client mysql server to connect to a Master MySQL
server by MUST using a PASSWORD!!

CURRENT SYSTEM:
================
Master MySQL Server:
-------------
Name: datam
IP:     192.168.10.21
O/S:    RH9
MySQL:4.0.18 (Source)

Client MySQL Server:
-------------
Name: datac
IP:     192.168.10.22
O/S:    RH9
MySQL:4.0.18 (Source/Client installation)

WHAT ELSE I HAVE DONE:
======================
All installation was done using official MySQL documentation & by consulting
MySQL by DuBois book.

On Master MySQL server, I setup a user account "mysql". I also setup PW for
"root" and "mysql" (PW is "mysql123"). Both "root" & "mysql" can connect to
Master MySQL  server "datam" locally & are forced to use PW. I also setup
"/etc/my.cnf". Then I granted privileges to all Client MySQL machine to
connect to Master MySQL server as follows:

        mysql> GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON db.*
           -> TO mysql@'192.168.10.0/255.255.255.0';

So far so good. I connected from Client MySQL server:
        %mysql -u mysql -h datam

No problem. Client MySQL connects fine.

QUESTION/SUGGESTION/PROBLEM:
=============================
I want to force Client MySQL servers to use a PASSWORD to connect to the
Master MySQL Server "datam". Right now any Client on 192.168.10.X can
connect without using password.

To further investigate, I changed the "/etc/my.cnf" file as follows:

[client]
password = mysql123

Well, it did not make any difference.

So, please let me know what am I doing wrong? What changes should I make so
the client machines must use a PW to connect to the Master server?

Thanks.

Kirt