Greetings,

This could be something basic that I missed, or discussed before.
Is there a way to look somewhere for logs that give a clue of how many
simultaneous connections, and which user did connect at what time and
other error logs, if any?

I see hostname.err

That has something like this.

040216 12:56:44  mysqld started
040216 12:56:44  InnoDB: Started
/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqld: ready for connections.
Version: '4.0.17-standard-log'  socket: '/tmp/mysql.sock'  port: 3306
040223  0:44:37  /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqld: Normal shutdown

But I also see a large file with hostname.log
After checking it, it seems to be simply logging each user's queries.

Any suggestions?

Server is running MySQL version 4.0.17 installed from the binary
distribution, Red Hat Linux 7.2 Linux.

Thank you for your help/