Thanks for the response.

Does this mean that I would not use perl and only program in
VBA?
If I do need perl does it have to be installed on the Windows side?
Where can I get some examples with ODBC in VBA?

thanks.

Mike Hillyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Annie Law wrote:
> Hi,I would appreciate help with the following. I would like to be ableto initiate a
> perl script that is residing on a linux server from anExcel workbook. I am working
> on the Excel workbook in Windows. Iwould appreciate any pointers, sample code for
> accomplishing this inVBA or some other method.The perl script that I am trying to
> call will take the informationfrom a mysql database and update the Excel sheet.The
> script will also take information from the Excel sheet and updatethe database.thanks
> very much.
>

> ---------------------------------

Why wouldn't you just use ODBC to connect to the server and work
directly? Remotely initiating a perl script would involve creating a
telnet or SSH session from within Excel using VBA, which would be a far
more complex undertaking.

--
Mike Hillyer, Technical Writer
MySQL AB, www.mysql.com

"The Open Source movement has become a major force across the software
industry, and MySQL is the world's most popular open source database."
--Fortune Magazine
begin:vcard
fn:Mike Hillyer
n:Hillyer;Mike