Paul McNeil wrote:
Thank you very much for the response.  According to MySQL Control Center the
MySQL DB I am connecting to is version 4.0.17.  Possibly that is the
problem.

You'll get quicker (and, on average, better) responses if you keep the thread on the list.

I have mysql 4.0.17 running on another machine, so I tried this there and got the exact same results as I got on 4.0.20. If you haven't already, please try this directly in the mysql client to verify or rule out mysql as the culprit. Unless your 4.0.17 is somehow different than mine, I expect you'll find the problem must be occurring after the data leaves the server. Presumably, that would be either in the Java-MySQL interface or somewhere in your code.

Michael