If all your queries are on columns that are indexed (query by key), then all your data for your query may actually fit into cache. If you are only pulling data from a "key" field, then MySQL doesn't need to actually access the whole table, just the index.
You usually see high disk usage when you are accessing a lot of data, which is not necessarily the same as accessing a lot of rows.