On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 09:24:37 -0500, Darryl Hoar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Someone on a technical forum I participate in stated that
MySQL was converting to be a commercial application.
I always knew that MySQL had a commercial arm, but always
continued to have the Open Source arm as well.

For project planning purposes, will there continue to be an
open source version of MySQL for personal use ?

We're dealing with this right now. Basically, MySQL is distributed under the GPL and always will be. However, their interpretation of what a work based on the program is (which requires the new work to be GPLed) is that anything that connects to the server is based on it. I believe this comes from the fact that you need to use the client library to do so. As a result, they offer a commercial license for proprietary products.

The commercial license is quite inexpensive compared to most competitors ($249 USD w/o InnoDB, $495 USD w/InnoDB) and is permanent. You get unlimited upgrades and can transfer the license as well. IIRC, the price is per server, not per processor. And there are no limitations on the number of connections (unlike most competitors).

All in all not a bad deal if you don't want to GPL your code.

Michael

--
Michael Johnson < [EMAIL PROTECTED] >
Internet Application Programmer, Pitsco, Inc.