[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

You may want more indexes but you might be getting killed because you already have too
many.

To test - try loading into a table without indexes and see if it makes a difference.

At the very least - check to see if the primary index which starts with 'dic' can make
your special 'dic' index superfluous.

If write speed is a bottleneck you might consider Raid-1 instead of Raid-5.

Reading lots of rows via index is a killer. Depending on your hardware it may be
cheaper to table scan 50 rows than to read 1 via index. However, this requires
partitioning of the data based on some column which appears in every query and acts as
an initial filter. If you are lucky enough to be in that situation - consider a MERGE
table.

These tables are merged, the total table size is huge, on this particular table, it's , 45,449,534 rows, however, all the merge tables combined are 258,840,305 records

perhaps I should reorder the pimary key, putting the longest most unique record up front, and the least unique at the end, would that speed up the key check? I can tell that almost everything is read IO, very little write IO