Okay, so what I did to solve this was:
ln -s /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock /tmp/mysql.sock

That seems like a bit of a hack though.  The my.cnf file has this line:
socket=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock

Anyone know why it's looking in /etc ?

On Jul 14, 2004, at 4:53 PM, Jough P wrote:

Greetings all,

I recently upgraded from mysql 3.23 to 4.0 on a Fedora box. I moved the old installation to a directory called old_mysql in my home directory. I can start the new installation using mysqld_safe &.

Now, when I try to do something like:
/new/install/mysqladmin -u root -p version

it says it can't connect because there is no /tmp/mysql.sock. And that is the case. The mysql.sock file is in /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock

When I do something like:
old_mysql/mysqladmin -u root -p version
it can connect and, in fact, I can connect to the new mysql server by using old_mysql/mysql -u root -p

Should I just go on using the old clients? Why is there no /tmp/mysql.sock? How can I make mysql create one?

Help! and Thanks!!!