From: Roy Harrell [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, July 19, 2004 2:03 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Relational Integrity

I need so general guidance on relational integrity.
I'm setting up a reasonably small DB with 30 or so
tables for a machine control application. Several of
the tables will have referential links to each other
(e.g. a finished part table will link to a master
part type table via the product ID number).
None of my table will ever contain more than a few
hundred thousand records.

This database is a conversion from an existing MS SQL7
system in which I made extensive use of foreign keys.
SQL7 has worked out well in the past but Windows and
VBNet has ceased to be an efficient machine control
development environment. We have decided
to migrate to Linux on all of our new systems where
practical.

My first stab at a MySQL implementation is to use the
MyISAM table structure and not the InnoDB structure,
foregoing the use of explicit foreign keys and letting
my apps take care of the relational integrity. I gathered
from reading DuBois that this is not an uncommon approach
to a MySQL implementation. Question: Are the advantages
of MyISAM tables vs. InnoDB tables sufficient for me
to continue this approach or am I better off setting
up InnoDB tables throughout?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sincerely,

Roy Harrell