After installing mysql,
   mysql-standard-4.1.3-beta-apple-darwin6.8-powerpc
php <http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/php/>
   <http://www2.entropy.ch/download/Entropy-PHP-4.3.4-2.dmg>
and phpMyAdmin 2.5.7-pl1
 (following http://www.macservers.org/feature-2.html )
Mac OS 10.2.8, MySQL4.1

the tests in the mentioned tutorial end elsewhere seem to run ok
until:

Using
http://localhost/phpMyAdmin/index.php
  (or with my absolute URL instead localhost)
I get:

Welcome to phpMyAdmin 2.5.7-pl1 - Login
Language: English (in popup)
The configuration file now needs a secret passphrase (blowfish_secret).

but no database or login field is shown.
 (I did not touch anything with blowfish)

This may be some item not enabled in httpd.config/mysql.config or some permission
problem  but I am not able to find the cause.
I am grateful for hints where to look.

New to all 3 intallations I do not yet understand much about the code in index.php.
It should work together with my mysql_database.

Some uncertainties with intalling php on 10.2:
The installer Entropy-PHP-4.3.4-2.dmg has not enabled:

AddModule mod_php4.c
LoadModule php4_module        libexec/httpd/libphp4.so

(enabling them does not change anything - it may be implicit in include or other quiet
changes/invisible)

(the Mac-client CocoaMySQL runs successfull on the Mac after switching to
old-passwords /i.e. short password hash/ and allows proper access according to grants
in MySQL. /Thanks to Bill Allaire from this list/. However, I want to make the db also
visible to selected MSWindows users.)
--
Peter Sint
[EMAIL PROTECTED]