Chris Pinkham wrote:

On Sun, Jan 30, 2005 at 11:27:12AM -0500, Chris Pinkham wrote:

commercials and eliminate false positives. I've got code started in
my source tree to try using aspect ratio changes to help detect when
commercials start and stop. There are also a few other detection ideas
on my TODO to add that will help the ALL method be more accurate.

<long utopia commercial detection description deleted> :)

This is bluesky for now, but I expect something like this will happen
in the future.

Today, however, I will put in one suggestion that I have made before but
may bear repetition. Quite often, and almost always on HDTV, commercials
are in a different aspect ratio from the regular show, and if you can
detect the black bars, you can have very accurate elimination.

Did you even read what you quoted from my post above? :) I said I'm starting working on code to detect the aspect ratio changes. I record a few shows that are letterboxed and have been putting some thought into this lately. I also have some code that should allow the flagger to use the aspect changes detected in the decoder as well, but I don't have a sample file to test that with yet. Should have one soon. So anyway, aspect ratio detection will probably be the next thing added to "ALL", since it's fairly easy to implement and is a very good indicator of the distinction between what is show and what is commercial. This will be after 0.17 though, I don't plan on adding any new detection functionality to the flagger before 0.17. (Don't want to break it and have a bunch of angry 0.17 users). :)

This will be nice to use on HD shows. Most of them are widescreen and the commercials switch to SD 4:3 format. I was thinking about a way that would just watch for the framerate changes. I notice that HD content plays at 24fps and commercials switch to 29~30fps.

- James