Tom Hughes wrote:

The mode lines I'm using are:

       ModeLine     "704x576pali" 13.6 704 728 792 872 576 581 586 625 -hsync
-vsync interlace
       ModeLine     "720x576pali" 13.9 720 744 808 888 576 581 586 625 -hsync
-vsync interlace

They seem to work OK on my set - scrolling up/down certainly indicates
some sort of sync/timing problem anyway.

Make sure you've wired to the correct pin on the SCART as well. I got
it wrong the first time and connected to the sync out pin instead of
the sync in so the TV wasn't getting the proper sync.

Tom

I finished the VGA->SCART converter...

It finally worked after re-soldering some resistors (the vga2scart website mentions pin 18 as GND where it should be 17, Composite Sync GND) and using you working modeline for 720x576. Despite the promised improvement I found the image quality to be inferior to S-Video.

All of a sudden the block artifacts in the MPEG stream become very clear (and disturbing at times), because there seems to be a total lack of correct scaling or smooth sampling/filtering of pixels. I see serrated edges all over the show and what I like to call 'missing lines', the image seems to be vertically compressed vertically and lines are left out to compensate for that. Diagonal lines in the video show this clearly. This is what I mean:

 --      instead of:      \

I assume that the Xv overlay should take care of scaling and smoothing, right?
Another thing is that even now, the TV doesn't display an interlaced image as smooth and fluid as the TV-out image w/ bob deinterlacing enabled. Seems that I am going to stick with S-video output from the TV-out along with bobdeint since that gives the best image by far. Sigh, wasted too much time on that converter.

-- Jeroen