On Thursday 03 March 2005 23:19, Robert Denier wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-03-04 at 03:52 +0100, Bernd Müller wrote:
> > Hello;
> >
> > I've heard about some mythtv-users successfully playing back MPEG4
> > video files
> > over the ivtv-fb of the Hauppauge PVR 350 using a realtime MPEG2
> > conversion.
> > Does anybody know a good starting point where to get more
> > information, e.g.
> > required converters (mencoder, transcode), scripts etc.
> >

> Well I don't have a 350 but from what I can tell if your using
> something
> called ivtv-fb the last two digits probably stand for framebuffer, so
> your video would likely be sent to the the frame buffer on the card.
> There shouldn't be any mpeg4- mpeg2 converstion or anything like that,
> just the decoding into a rgb or yuv colorspace and the video being
> sent
> to the card.

IIRC, I believe the issue is that the PVR-350 framebuffer itself is not
fast enough to handle full-framerate video that bypasses the MPEG-2; it
has decoder.  Maybe I'm wrong, though...

> I think I vaguely remember you needing a little faster
> machine than you might otherwise to handle mpeg4 through one of these.

Yes, definitely that, since the -350's framebuffer does not provide
hardware 2D scaling (Xv), so the scaling must be done in software.

-JAC