Yep, a cable splitter, they can be bought for a few bucks, pretty
cheaply.  So then you'd have:

Cable from wall -> splitter
and
splitter -> Myth box
splitter -> cable box

When googling on this subject, I learned that splitting a signal does
cut the strength of it (by half, if you split it in two).  This
probably isn't a big deal in one room, but would be an issue if you're
wiring a house.

And you'd connect both the frontend and cable box into the TV...
hopefully you have multiple inputs, so hit the "input" button on your
TV remote to switch.

A single-tuner PVR is a lot like an old fashioned VCR.  It just sits
there and does its thing, and you switch to it when you want to use it.
 One nice extra thing you can do is watch an old show you recorded
previously while recording something two.

If you get two tuners working in the Mythbox,then suddenly you can
record two shows at once, and the odds that you'll miss anything
important decrease a bunch.