Jesse Guardiani wrote:
> byron wrote:
>
>> My recent Myth project has been to get MythGame functional.  My goal was
>> to get MAME, NES and SNES all working through the MythGame interface.
>> So far I've been successful in getting MAME and NES roms detected and
>> playable through MythGame.  However SNES has proven to be a little
>> trickier.
>>
>> My problem:
>> When going into the games menu it scans for SNES games every time but
>> never updates the UI or the database as far as I can tell.  Running the
>> emulators from a console works in both zsnes and snes9x.  I do not see
>> any info logged to the backend log with verbose set to all, nor do I see
>> anything sent the console when running mythfrontend from the command
>> line.  I have tried zipped and unzipped roms with varying permissions
>> all to no avail.  I've also tried using both zsnes and snes9x without
>> success.
>>
>> Here is my config as it appears in setup
>>
>> Dropdown: Zsnes
>> binary: /usr/games/bin/zsnes -m
>> rompath: /media/emu/snes/roms
>> screenshots: (blank)
>>
>> The setup seems very simple I just don't see what I'm doing wrong.
>> Anyone have any ideas?  Is there a way to increase logging with
>> mythfrontend?
>>

> Yeah, wrap the snes9x binary with a shell script that logs command line
> options as well as
> command output.
>
> That's what I did. I had more trouble with xmame than snes9x though.
> I'll try to get you
> my command line later tonight.
>
> First, some questions:
> 1.) Why zsnes? Why not snes9x? I've had better performance, features,
> and general luck
>    with snes9x 0.43. Just don't forget to make it suid root or DGA won't
> work.
> 2.) What versions are you running?
> 3.) You're running Gentoo, right?
> 4.) Which ROMs? Some don't pass their checksums, like Super Metroid, so
> MythGame
>     won't add them.

1: No reason in particular.  I vaguely remember seeing that some people
preferred zsnes.  However, snes9x exhibits the same behavior.  I have no
real preference either way.

2: MythTV 0.18.1
   MythGame 0.18.1
   zsnes 1.42
   snes9x 1.43
   MySQL 4.1.14

3: Yes

4: Roms were retrieved from Vimm's Lair http://vimm.net (if it makes any
difference).
   Super Mario World
   Super Mario Kart
   Super Mario All-Stars
   Super Mario RPG
   Legend of Zelda (Link to the past)
   Donkey Kong Country
   Final Fantasy 3
   Super Castlevania IV

I'll write up a wrapper script tonight to see if I can get some more
visibility on the matter.

byron