On Aug 20, 2010, at 10:23 AM, Scott Nottingham wrote:

> Does anyone know how (or if it is even possible) to configure nagios
> to send a single email to all contacts associated with the host/
> service/etc as opposed to a separate email to each contact?
>
> The problem I'm facing is with emailing distribution lists.  If both
> distribution_list_A and B contain user_A, said user ends up getting
> 2 email for the same event.  If nagios could be configured to send a
> single email to both distribution lists, our exchange server would
> recognize that user_A is a member of both lists and send only 1
> email to him.
>
> Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide!

Think of your exhange servers mailing lists as buckets. Bucket A is
list A with user A in it. Bucket B is list B with user A in it.

Each bucket is going to get an email, and that email is going to get
copied to it's users.

I don't think this way is going to be possible, unless you make
another group, and put your groups in there. But I will bet that user
a still gets 2 emails. But I can't say for certain, since it's been
about 5 years since I used a exchange server.

I would probably pull user a out, and let him get contacted separately
with nagios, instead of depending on a group list if it's a big deal.
The down side is this doesn't scale very well.

Charlie