On 30 June 2011 11:42, Tim Philips <t...@rndgroup.co.nz> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Tell me, is it possible to pass a command to the Nagios command file to clear
> (previous) flapping?  I'm picking no - based on my understanding of the
> documentation but thought I would ask.
>
> The scenario is we have a number of "check software updates" that run and as
> such we schedule these daily.  There is a scenario within the flapping
> "period" where there are and aren't updates some of the future "warning or
> critical" warnings get suppressed.
>
> The simple answer that springs to mind for me is to disable flapping for
> things that are scheduled over x number of hours.  How are other people
> dealing with such things?

You're right - there is no command you can pass to Nagios to clear the
previous flapping state.  You could try disabling flap detection and
then enabling it again, but my guess is that Nagios will immediately
re-assess the flapping state based on the last 21 checks as soon as
you re-enable flap detection and you'll be back where you started.

If your checks are only run daily, then I would say almost certainly
flap detection is of no benefit to you and should be disabled for
those services.  If Nagios is basing it's assessment of whether the
service is flapping on the last 21 checks as described in the
documentation (
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/nagioscore/3/en/flapping.html ),
then since your checks are daily, it could be a couple of weeks
sometimes before Nagios decides that flapping has stopped!

IMHO, flap detection is only usually useful for those services which
are checked quite frequently.