Well without blaming anyone, the easiest reason for this to cause would be
a human mistake in interpreting the schedule downtime form (often happens
with fixed/flexible) and by setting a wrong end date.
When you were in the Downtime overview, did you take a look at the
specified End Time column? What was written there before you clicked the
delete icon?

I suggest you go to your var/archives folder and check the logfile of April
1st for the external command, sth like this:

[1333358804] EXTERNAL COMMAND:
SCHEDULE_SVC_DOWNTIME;hostname;NTP;1333358695;1333365895;0;0;3600;Nagios
Admin;test flexible
[1333373670] EXTERNAL COMMAND:
SCHEDULE_SVC_DOWNTIME;hostname;SSH;1333373648;1333384448;1;0;7200;Nagios
Admin;test fixed

These timestamps tell you WHEN the external command was launched, when the
downtime starts and when the downtime ends.
Also, note the 0 and 1 behind the end timestamp. Integer 0 indicates a
flexible downtime, a 1 indicates a fixed scheduled downtime.

To answer your question: Yes, after the end of the scheduled downtime,
normal monitoring should have resumed.