> Interesting  - How does it work though - I mean if the firewall plays up
> at
> Site A, it thinks everything in Site B is down - so Nagios GUI marks
> everything as down - what happens then if say a server in Site B does
> actually go down - we will not get alerted to that?

That's correct.  But, your proposed configuration wouldn't solve
this problem - if the firewall fails, the Nagios servers can't
contact each other anyway, so they could never agree on what's up
and what's down.

> I made a slight error in my original description - when the firewall "goes
> down" it cant contact anything at both locations, not just Site A, due to
> the fact that the protected interface stays up but just denies all
> traffic.
>
> We are currently working on this with GTA but im losing the will to live
> with 300 texts virtually every night!!

I've dealt with this situation before, and I've ended up
implementing two mostly standalone Nagios systems.  They each
check their own site, so if their external network goes away they
are still able to monitor and alert for the things they're
responsible for (you have to use out-of-band notifications of
course).  They also each check each other's *site*, ala the other
site's firewall, so the Nagios server at site A can alert and let
you know if site B goes away, but it *doesn't* try to alert you
for all of the hosts and services at site B.

--
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that it's very hard to
verify their authenticity."       -- Abraham Lincoln