On Thu, Mar 31, 2005 at 09:45:42AM -0800, David Barak wrote:
> >we're going to have to integrate it into our computers. ("dammit, i
> >need a decent quality USB headset for less than USD $300!") because
> >as long as something looks-like-a-phone, the POTS empire can use the
> >NANP (or local equivilent) and 911 regulations (or local equivilent)
> >to prevent newer more efficient carriers from making money from
> >"voice".
>
> Please correct me if I'm mistaken, but your implication seems to be
> "damn the 911, full steam ahead." That's great for optional voice
> (calls to Panama) but not so good for non-optional voice (to the fire
> dept).

An excellent distinction, and one that the government had to deal with
many years ago... when they discovered that AT&T had *many* facets, and
that breaking up the functions they used to use Ma Bell for required
*figuring out what those functions were*.  Many of them had cropped up
by accretion, along the way.

To a first approximation, for example, Bell Labs was America's national
research laboratory, and I'm sure the country hasn't entirely
benefitted from what *they've* had to go through.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]

      If you can read this... thank a system administrator.  Or two.  --me