It's also not effective in various situations.
The bad behavior is not disabling abused domains, it's the method used to do it
(by giving no answer instead of actively giving a negative answer).

When a http client asks  recursive resolver A  for an A RR, and no
response is received,
the client will then  go to  recursive resolver B  and make the very
same query again,
and possibly on to recursive resolver C.

One of the secondary/tertiary recursive resolvers may hand the client
a cached response that had been obtained before the registrar took any
action.
If instead recursive resolver A  returned a NXDOMAIN,  that would be
the end of it,
no new queries,  the answer has returned  name does not exist.

The impact of the additional queries can be significant as well.

--
-J