Stephen Sprunk wrote:
Trey Darley wrote:
Some colleagues and I are running into a bit of a problem. We've been using RFC 1918 Class A space but due to the way subnets have been allocated we are pondering the use of public IP space. As the network in question is strictly closed I don't anticipate any problems with this as the addresses would be unambiguous within our environment. I'm curious if anyone else is doing this.

"Closed" networks nearly always end up getting connected to public networks, either by intent or by accident. If you act as if your network will remain "closed" forever, e.g. by using public addresses that are (or will be) assigned to someone else, you're going to cause a lot of headaches for yourself or your replacement down the road, eventually.

Contrary to popular belief, ARIN (and possibly other RIRs) _will_ assign public IPs for private/closed networks if you can explain why RFC1918 space will not suffice for your needs, e.g. because you are running a private internetwork between multiple companies and thus NAT/RFC1918 is simply not viable due to the number of ASes and the difficulty in avoiding collisions or the sheer number of hosts...

Or you can always get some PA space from an ISP rather easily.

~Seth