> Mark Tinka
> Sent: Thursday, June 27, 2019 4:31 PM
>

> On 27/Jun/19 14:48, James Bensley wrote:
>
> > That to me is a simple scenario, and it can be mapped with a
> > dependency tree. But in my experience, and maybe it's just me, things
> > are usually a lot more complicated than this. The root cause is
> > probably a bad design introducing too much complexity, which is
> > another vote for smaller PEs from me. With more service dedicated PEs
> > one can reduce or remove the possibility of piling multiple services
> > and more complexity onto the same PE(s).
>
> Which is one of the reasons we - painfully to the bean counters - insist that
> routers are deployed for function.
>
> We won't run peering and transit services on the same router.
>
> We won't run SP and Enterprise on the same router as Broadband.
>
> We won't run supporting services (DNS, RADIUS, WWW, FTP, Portals, NMS,
> e.t.c.) on the same router where we terminate customers.
>
> This level of distribution, although quite costly initially, means you reduce
> the
> inter-dependency of services at a hardware level, and can safely keep things
> apart so that when bits fail, you aren't committing other services to the same
> fate.

If the PEs are sufficiently small I'd even go further as to L3VPNs-PE vs
L2VPNs-PE services etc...,  it's mostly because of streamlined/simplified hw
and code certification testing.
But as with all the decentralize-centralize swings one has to strike the
balance just right and weight the aggregation pros against too many eggs in one
basket cons.

adam