I carry this. It's a preference I gained in my past life:
https://www.kleintools.com/catalog/tool-storage/tradesman-pro-backpack

I put my notebook (Surface Pro) in a sleeve and sandwich it between
the halves. It hasn't gotten crushed to death yet. I'll admit this is
not optimal.

This one has since been released, and it has a laptop compartment. My
co-worker loves it:
https://www.kleintools.com/catalog/tradesman-pro-organizers/tradesman-pro-tech-backpack