For efficiency of censorship.  If you want to stop some domain name from
resolving you have to get everyone on the planet to block that DNS resolution
in their recursive resolver.  However, if everyone uses the same single DNS
server operated by a single entity, then you only have to coerce that one
entity to block resolution of that DNS name.

lot about anticipated traffic volume.