hi,

> Go ahead and read your v4 address over the phone and then do the same with
> your v6 address.  Which is easier?  I do understand all about these addresses
> both being binary underneath ( I've been doing this for over 30 years now).
> However it is much easier to communicate using four decimal octets.

::1

so much quicker than 127.0.0.1  ;-)

> People generally do not like change and being forced to learn something new.

some people dont... but its called progress.  I'd have to worry about
someone whose only experience is of TCP/IP networking (and only IPv4
at that).  do they also get wobbly when
their data is now on a big broadcast collision domain network after
all those years of moving it to a switched system?

>That is just human nature.  You have to give them a reason to want to do it
>(more money, better service, less long term cost, etc.).

the ability to communicate to the rest of the growing world where IPv4
addresses just arent there anymore?

>It is hard to make the case to eliminate v4 in use cases where it is working
>perfectly fine (especially RFC1918 inside an enterprise).

2 things on this. just an internal network? yes, you could say 'why
bother'?   I *could* think about being in that camp....but actually,
i'd stick the
security hat on and say, just like I did with wireless

'we dont have any wireless' - oh really? without being in the domain
and having kit that will detect it/trace its source etc how will you
know

int he IPv6 world...if you arent the one controlling it on your
network (and reporting on it) then you will have clients happily
talking to each other
on it, tunnelling it around the place (hello all those TEREDO tunnels)
and being the router for traffic. all the fun with ff02::1 on your
local segment  ;-)

alan